The Youth Services Board is an advisory board to the Tompkins County Youth Services Department and the Tompkins County Legislature. Members are appointed by their respective municipalities and serve as representatives of their communities. Adult members are appointed for three-year terms renewable as determined by the appointing municipality. Youth members (ages 16-20) are appointed for two-year renewable terms. All board members must be residents of Tompkins County and must complete the Tompkins County Advisory board application.
Beginning in January of 2018, Youth Services Board meetings will occur on the last Monday of each month from 5:00-6:30 pm. Meetings are typically held at the Human Services Building located at 320 W. State/MLK Jr. Street, Ithaca NY. An annual retreat is held in February and the board does not typically meet in August. All meetings are open to the public.
Meeting Packets - Regular monthly meetings were disrupted in 2020 by the Covid-19 Pandemic
- All 2019 Approved Board Meeting Minutes
- All 2018 Approved Board Meeting Minutes
- All 2017 Approved Board Meeting Minutes
Board Member Roles
Board members are responsible for:
- developing multi-year plans that include goals linked to community priorities based on locally identified youth needs, gaps in services, and opportunities for coordination.
- reviewing grant proposals that address the needs, goals, and priorities contained within the departmental comprehensive plan. Each year the board members recommend how to allocate approximately $1 million in state and county funding to local agencies and communities that plan and sponsor youth development programming throughout Tompkins County.
- supporting the work of the Youth Services Staff members as they gather, analyze and share data on youth needs; collaborate with others to develop a supportive service for youth; monitor funded programs; implement metrics to trace programmatic performance; provide training and technical assistance to nine community-based youth commissions and agencies that serve young people; coordinate a wide variety of public and private services for children, youth and families.
- participating in their communities while learning about the youth needs of each of their appointed towns.
- serving as a liaison between the County Youth Services Board and their respective municipality, attending town and/or village board meetings as needed.
- advocating for youth from throughout Tompkins County.
|Chairperson||Patty VandeBogart||At-large Member|
|Vice-Chair||Lisa Campbell||Town of Lansing|
|Secretary||Khaki Wunderlich||At-large Member|
|Ian Schachner||At-large Member|
|Glenn Morey||Legislative Liaison|
|Ronny Hardaway||Village of Lansing|
|Jennifer Dean||Town and Village of Groton|
|Tamer Elshourbagy||At-large Member|
|Karlem Sivira Gimenez||City of Ithaca|
|Austin Kuczek||Town of Newfield|
|Lisa Monroe||Town of Enfield|
|Kelly Sauve||Town of Ithaca|
|Kathy Servoss||Town and Villages of Dryden & Freeville|
|Magdalena Smith||At-large Member|
|Sara Watrous||At-large Member|
|Marnie Kirchgessner||Town of Danby|
|Bernice Yarosh||At-large Member|
|The Youth Services Board is currently looking for representatives from these municipalities:|
|Town of Ulysses and Village of Trumansburg||Town of Caroline|
If you are interested in applying for an appointment to the Youth Services Board, please contact Kate Shanks-Booth by calling (607) 274-5310.
* Pending Appointment by the Tompkins County Legislature