Mapping Tompkins County!
Welcome to Tompkins County Geographic Information Services... a division of the Department of Information Technology Services (ITS).
As part of the Tompkins County Department of Information Technology, the GIS Division is currently working remotely. While we're not physically in the County building we are still available during normal business hours Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. If you have a question about any of the GIS resources feel free to call us at: (607) 274-5418 or email us via the contact link bottom left of this page.
For the most updated COVID-19 Cases in Tompkins County please navigate to the Tompkins County Health Department. Below are some GIS specific resources for your information.
- Tompkins County Moving Forward Together- Information for reopening from the Tompkins County Health Department
- COVID-19 Trends for US Counties- view county trends across the US for last 10-14 days
- Key Planning Indicators- Click and hover over a graphical indicator to get more info
- Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 Dashboard- Track COVID-19 Cases (Worldwide, Country-wide State-wide, County-wide, etc.)
- Tompkins County Dashboard- Visual view of the Tompkins County Health Department Info
- Tompkins County COVID-19 Cases Spreadsheet
- Tompkins County COVID-19 Cases by Demographics
- NYS Department of Health COVID-19 Tracker- Please note the numbers here reflect tests from all labs so they are higher
- Cornell University Demographic Vulnerability Index- Click a County in the State to View a Specific Set of Demographic Vulnerability Indices
- Unacast Social Distancing Score- Compare Tompkins County Social distancing activity to its activity prior to COVID-19
- We are Resilient- A dashboard of local businesses that are open for business and offering services during the pandemic add your business.
The mission of Tompkins County GIS is to serve the Tompkins County Community through the distribution of relevant GIS data and mapping resources to assist departments and municipal stakeholders on an ongoing basis. Tompkins County GIS also focuses on the production and distribution of meaningful datasets, paper maps and interactive mapping applications for local businesses and residents.
Tompkins County began its investment in GIS in the mid 1990s with the conversion of the County's tax mapping paper archives to a multi-layered GIS dataset. Today, the County has developed a robust GIS that is available and used by many county departments, local governments, and the community at large.
The GIS Division serves as the lead agency for enterprise GIS development and data distribution. We provide GIS direction, GIS project assistance, and deploy GIS technology for county departments, other municipalities, and the public. We do this with the help of key GIS Staff in other Departments and use every tool at our disposal to provide GIS resources for all!
As such, the team is currently responsible for:
- Providing Assistance to county departments in deploying GIS data and
applications to support departmental activities;
- Development and maintenance of countywide address data;
- Application support for public safety and emergency response;
- Ad hoc map creation for County agencies, local governments, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and the general public;
- Data distribution through online data repositories
- Web application development and support for county departments, local governments, and the general public though our online map gallery;
- Development of new geospatial datasets and mapping services as requested;
- GIS software license Administration and;
- Management and day-to-day maintenance of the County's Enterprise-wide GIS including all hardware and software products used therein.
We are continually improving our data-sets as well as providing access to aid in various projects around the community. Please feel free to contact us if you have a mapping project in mind or a data layer you would like to see.
One stop mapping portal for GIS maps and applications.
Search for data from various categories and download for free.
Search for Sex offenders near you. Sign up for email alerts about sex offenders and learn how to educate children.
Data for Download
- 2018 Tompkins County Aerial Imagery Direct Download (Whole County or by Town)
- Statewide Parcel Info (July 2019) Metadata
- Tompkins County 2019 Parcel Data multiple formats download
- Tompkins County 2018 Parcel Data in dwg format (7.3 MB zip)
- Countywide Address Data (May 15, 2019) multiple format download
Other Data Sets
- New York State Open Data View and download multiple data sets by theme
- Highway Department Projects Dashboard - View County road and bridge projects for the 2019 construction season
- Tompkins County Aerial Imagery (2015) Direct Download @gis.ny.gov
- State-wide Addresses and Streets available for download on the NYSGIS Clearinghouse
State of the State
- See how GIS is being used across the State
- Free GIS Software license for K-12 and other resources
- State GIS Association
What is GIS Anyway?
"At minimum, GIS is a technological field that incorporates geographical features with tabular data in order to map, analyze, and assess real-world problems.." More on that here.