Mapping Tompkins County!
Welcome to Tompkins County Geographic Information Services... a division of the Department of Information Technology Services (ITS).
As part of the Tompkins County Department of Information Technology, GIS Division staff is back in the office. Although the office is currently closed to the public we are available during normal business hours Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. If you have a question about any of the GIS resources feel free to call us at: (607) 274-5418 or email us via the contact link bottom left of this page.
Below are the latest COVID-19 data and trends for Tompkins County as well as other local, regional, and Countrywide resources.
- Tompkins County Health Department Dashboard
- Tompkins County COVID-19 Cases by Demographics - Breakdown of Unique Positive Cases total in Tompkins County
- Tompkins County Trend Graphs- daily active cases, new cases, % positive test, etc
- College Dashboards: Cornell University | Ithaca College Dashboard | TC3
- Tompkins County COVID-19 Cases Spreadsheet
- NYS Department of Health COVID-19 Tracker- Track cases by County
- Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 Dashboard- Track COVID-19 Cases (Worldwide, Country-wide State-wide, County-wide, etc.)
- Tompkins County Key Planning Indicators- Click and hover over a graphical indicator to get more info
- COVIDPulse- An interesting take on US COVID-19 trend lines, since February 2020
- COVID-19 Trends for US Counties- view county trends across the US for last 10-14 days
The mission of Tompkins County GIS is to serve the Tompkins County Community through the distribution of relevant GIS data and mapping resources to assist departments and municipal stakeholders on an ongoing basis. Tompkins County GIS also focuses on the production and distribution of meaningful datasets, paper maps and interactive mapping applications for local businesses and residents.
Tompkins County began its investment in GIS in the mid 1990s with the conversion of the County's tax mapping paper archives to a multi-layered GIS dataset. Today, the County has developed a robust GIS that is available and used by many county departments, local governments, and the community at large.
The GIS Division serves as the lead agency for enterprise GIS development and data distribution. We provide GIS direction, GIS project assistance, and deploy GIS technology for county departments, other municipalities, and the public. We do this with the help of key GIS Staff in other Departments and use every tool at our disposal to provide GIS resources for all!
As such, the team is currently responsible for:
- Providing Assistance to county departments in deploying GIS data and
applications to support departmental activities;
- Development and maintenance of countywide address data;
- Application support for public safety and emergency response;
- Ad hoc map creation for County agencies, local governments, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and the general public;
- Data distribution through online data repositories
- Web application development and support for county departments, local governments, and the general public though our online map gallery;
- Development of new geospatial datasets and mapping services as requested;
- GIS software license Administration and;
- Management and day-to-day maintenance of the County's Enterprise-wide GIS including all hardware and software products used therein.
We are continually improving our data-sets as well as providing access to aid in various projects around the community. Please feel free to contact us if you have a mapping project in mind or a data layer you would like to see.
One stop mapping portal for GIS maps and applications.
Search for data from various categories and download for free.
Search for Sex offenders near you. Sign up for email alerts about sex offenders and learn how to educate children.
Data for Download
- 2018 Tompkins County Aerial Imagery Direct Download (Whole County or by Town)
- Statewide Parcel Info (August 2020) Metadata
- Tompkins County 2020 Parcel Data multiple formats download
- Tompkins County 2020 Parcel Data in AutoCAD 2010 .dwg format (7 MB zip)
- Countywide Address Data (July 20th, 2020) multiple format download
Other Data Sets
- New York State Open Data View and download multiple data sets by theme
- Highway Department Projects Dashboard - View County road and bridge projects for the 2020 construction season
- Tompkins County Aerial Imagery (2015) Direct Download @gis.ny.gov
- State-wide Addresses and Streets available for download on the NYSGIS Clearinghouse
State of the State
- See how GIS is being used across the State
- Free GIS Software license for K-12 and other resources
- State GIS Association
What is GIS Anyway?
"At minimum, GIS is a technological field that incorporates geographical features with tabular data in order to map, analyze, and assess real-world problems.." More on that here.