Mapping Tompkins County!
Welcome to Tompkins County Geographic Information Services... a division of the Department of Information Technology Services (ITS).
The mission of Tompkins County GIS is to serve the Tompkins County Community through the distribution of relevant GIS data and mapping resources to assist departments and municipal stakeholders on an ongoing basis. Tompkins County GIS also focuses on the production and distribution of meaningful datasets, paper maps, and interactive mapping applications for local businesses and residents.
Tompkins County began its investment in GIS in the mid-1990s with the conversion of the County's tax mapping paper archives to a multi-layered GIS dataset. Today, the County has developed a robust GIS that is available and used by many county departments, local governments, and the community at large.
The GIS Division serves as the lead agency for enterprise GIS development and data distribution. We provide GIS direction, GIS project assistance, and deploy GIS technology for county departments, other municipalities, and the public. We do this with the help of key GIS Staff in other Departments and use every tool at our disposal to provide GIS resources for all!
As such, the team is currently responsible for:
- Providing Assistance to county departments in deploying GIS data and
applications to support departmental activities;
- Development and maintenance of countywide address data;
- Application support for public safety and emergency response;
- Ad hoc map creation for County agencies, local governments, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and the general public;
- Data distribution through online data repositories
- Web application development and support for county departments, local governments, and the general public through our online map gallery;
- Development of new geospatial datasets and mapping services as requested;
- GIS software license Administration and;
- Management and day-to-day maintenance of the County's Enterprise-wide GIS including all hardware and software products used therein.
We are continually improving our data-sets as well as providing access to aid in various projects around the community. Please feel free to contact us if you have a mapping project in mind or a data layer you would like to see.
One-stop mapping portal for GIS maps and applications.
Search for data from various categories and download for free.
Search for Sex offenders near you. Sign up for email alerts about sex offenders and learn how to educate children.
Data for Download
- 2018 Tompkins County Aerial Imagery Direct Download (Whole County or by Town)
- Statewide Parcel Info (June 2021) Metadata
- Tompkins County 2021 Parcel Data multiple formats download
- Tompkins County 2021 Parcel Data in AutoCAD 2010 .dwg format (7 MB zip)
- Countywide Address Data (January 14th, 2022) multiple format downloads
Other Data Sets
- New York State Open Data View and download multiple data sets by theme
- State-wide Addresses and Streets available for download on the NYS GIS Clearinghouse
State of the State
- See how GIS is being used across the State
- Free GIS Software license for K-12 (from ESRI)
- State GIS Association
What is GIS Anyway?
"At a minimum, GIS is a technological field that incorporates geographical features with tabular data to map, analyze, and assess real-world problems.." More on that here.