DEM: 31,644 REP: 10,763 BLANK: 11,819 OTH: 3,386 TOTAL: 57,612 (updated 05/20/2021)
Qualifications to Vote by Absentee Ballot (Deadlines)
1. Absent from your county on Election Day.
2.Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability (temporary illness includes being unable to appear due to risk of contracting or spreading a communicable disease like COVID-19).
3. Unable to appear because you are the primary care giver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled.
4. A resident or patient of a Veterans Health Administration Hospital.
5. Detained in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or confined in prison after conviction for an offense other than a felony.
Thank you for visiting the Tompkins County Board of Elections website.
We are a bi-partisan team of Voting and Election Specialists, charged with the preservation of citizen confidence in the democratic process and enhancement of voter participation in elections. Directed by Election Commissioners, our Deputies, Clerks, Machine Technicians, and 300+ Election Day Inspectors are funded by the tax-payers of Tompkins County, fiscally accountable to Tompkins County Legislators, and responsible under New York State Election Law for the following;
- Voter eligibility, registration, and notification
- Processing and verification of candidate petitions and documents
- Assisting candidates in understanding the steps needed in order to run for an elected office
- Campaign finance disclosures of candidates and campaign committees
- Recruiting, train, and assign Election Day Inspectors to conduct elections
- Maintaining, repair, and deploy Election Day equipment; and
- Canvass, audit, and certify voting results
Tompkins County consistently ranks in the top annual voter turnout in New York State. We encourage EVERY eligible citizen to exercise their right to vote.
The Tompkins County Board of Elections will meet on the first and third Thursday of every month at 10:30 AM in conference room 103 at 128 East Buffalo Street, Ithaca NY 14850. The public is invited to attend.